Title

Catholic school leavers attracted to Education degrees at Notre Dame

Document Type

Media Release

Publication Date

Summer 2-9-2006

Publisher Name

The University of Notre Dame, Fremantle Campus

Publication Place

Fremantle

Abstract

The University of Notre Dame Australia is becoming the first choice for many students from Catholic Secondary schools who are pursuing a degree in education.

“It is pleasing to see a significant number of students from Catholic Secondary Schools enrol in our Education courses,” said Notre Dame’s Executive Dean of Education, Professor Michael O’Neill”.

“The opportunity to achieve full accreditation to teach Religious Education in all Catholic Schools is a very attractive option for some students. “

Students in Catholic Schools make up 18% of the total number of students in WA, yet they comprised 45% of the total number applications to the School of Education at the University. Of the 2005 Notre Dame graduands, 63% chose a course of study that provided accreditation to teach in a Catholic school, while 58% graduated with accreditation to teach Religious Education in Catholic schools.

Notre Dame’s Fremantle Campus recently hosted enrolment days for its Schools of Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and Philosophy & Theology.

Admissions Manager, Mrs Rommie Masarei said, “the University was pleased with the response to enrolments. The University considers a student’s personal qualities and motivation, their interview, the community service they have undertaken and their academic record, which includes the results of the past two years of schooling including their TER score.

Academic record of all study undertaken since leaving school is required for a mature age student.”

School leavers have joined with mature age students as they signed up for their courses of study. Notre Dame has a unique admissions process for prospective students. Every student is required to be interviewed and to submit a 300-word statement on why they want to study at Notre Dame and how they believe they will contribute to their chosen profession and to the wider community on graduation.

Applications for 2006 are still being accepted at the Admissions Office (9433 0261) located at 45 Henry Street Fremantle.