Impressive National Advisory Group to Mentor Sydney's new law degree
The University of Notre Dame, Fremantle Campus
An impressive group of legal experts and businesspeople has been appointed to mentor the Law Degree commencing at the Sydney Campus of the University of Notre Dame Australia in February 2006.
Justice Neville Owen, Chancellor of Notre Dame Australia, says he is delighted with the constitution and expertise of the Law Advisory Board, which will be chaired by the Honourable Barry O'Keefe AM, QC.
The Board is comprised of eminent members of the legal and professional communities, including serving and retired judges, senior counsel, barristers, solicitors and business people.
The University appreciates that these busy, talented and widely recognised leaders have indicated that they will support Notre Dame's School of Law in Sydney,' Justice Owen said.
The Board's Chairman is the Hon Mr Barry O'Keefe AM, QC. Currently a consultant with Clayton Utz, where he specialises in commercial, construction and probity matters, Mr O'Keefe has had a distinguished national and international career encompassing the legal and judicial professions, public service, civic engagement and anti-corruption activities. He has also been appointed as Adjunct Professor of Law to Notre Dame.
Mr O'Keefe QC was appointed a Supreme Court Judge in 1993, and was Commissioner of the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) from 1994-1999. He joined Clayton Utz after retiring from the Supreme Court in 2004.
Mr O'Keefe's extensive civic contributions include Mayor of Mosman (1977-1991) and President of the NSW Local Government Association from 1986-1998. Mr O'Keefe has been President of the National Trust since 1991, and Chairman of Interpol's International Group of Experts on Corruption since 2001.
Notre Dame Sydney's Law Degree has been accredited by The NSW Legal Practitioners Admission Board. In its foundation year Notre Dame will offer 80 Law places via a single four year degree or a five year double degree in either Commerce/Law or Arts/Law combinations.
The Law Advisory Board members are:
- The Hon Justice Neville Owen – Chancellor of Notre Dame Australia
- The Hon Barry O'Keefe AM, QC – Consultant Clayton Utz (Chair)
- Robert Balzola – Chief of Staff to Federal Member for Lowe
- Fr Frank Brennan SJ, AO – Professor of Law at Notre Dame
- Bruno Camarri – Former partner, now consulting to Freehills
- Adrian Diethelm – NSW Bar
- The Hon Judge Brian Donovan QC – District Court Judge of NSW
- The Hon John Dunford QC – Retired Judge of the Supreme Court of NSW
- The Hon Justice Robert French – Federal Court
- Claire Galt – Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- Peter Gammell – Managing Director, Australian Capital Equity Pty Ltd
- Lucy McCallum SC – NSW Bar
- Charles Scarf – Chairman, The Scarf Group
- Richard Shankland – Senior Associate, Clayton Utz
- Gregory Smith SC – Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions (NSW)
- Keith Steele – Partner and Head of Litigation, Freehills (Melbourne)
- Richard St John – Special Counsel to Johnson Winter and Slattery, Melbourne
Notre Dame is currently enrolling students in its Arts, Business, Education, Law and Nursing courses for Semester One, 2006.
For media related information contact: The Media Office, University of Notre Dame, Sydney, Direct line: 08 9204 4410, Mobile: 0403 273 215
Ebbs, Michelle, "Impressive National Advisory Group to Mentor Sydney's new law degree" (2005). Media Release Archive. 549.